Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Northwest Georgia Breastfeeding Coalition hosts international expert:

Breastfeeding is normal, formula is inferior, and birth makes the difference

Nurses and lactation consultants from all over the southeast convened in Dalton last week to hear the latest in breastfeeding technology from renowned expert Diane Weissinger, MS, IBCLC.

According to Weissinger, the “breast is best” tagline is a disservice to women and babies. Such slogans suggest that formula-feeding is the norm and breastfeeding is something better than the norm. Formula companies often state that breastfeeding is “the ideal.” Of course, something that is ideal is lofty but usually unattainable. None of us would claim to be ideal parents, for example. By calling breastfeeding ideal, they suggest that it is a lofty, unattainable goal.

Wiessinger says, "The truth is, breastfeeding is nothing more than normal. Artificial feeding, which is neither the same nor superior, is therefore deficient, incomplete, and inferior. These are difficult words, but they have an appropriate place in our vocabulary."

How often are we reminded that breastfeeding is simply normal? Every mammal species on the planet uses mammary glands to nurture its offspring. This is one of the defining characteristics that classifies humans as mammals. By choosing not to feed our infants in the normal way, we expose them to many known and unknown risks.

Wiessinger says there are about 13,000 studies that show problems with formula feeding. These studies are typically pitched as pro-breastfeeding (as if formula were the norm) rather than anti-formula. Thus, the experts tell us that breastfeeding reduces obesity or respiratory infections or earaches. Instead, they should simply state that formula increases obesity, respiratory infections and earaches. Likewise, breastfeeding does not reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS); formula increases the risk of SIDS.

Instead of emphasizing only the benefits of breastfeeding, professionals should stress the risks of artificial feeding. Despite the “more like breastmilk” ads, formula-feeding remains distinctly inferior to breastfeeding in every aspect. Formula not only increases the risk of diseases and disorders; it also fails to adequately nurture the brain, resulting in a lower IQ. Further, formula-feeding does not foster the maternal-infant bond the way breastfeeding does, because the hormone cycle is broken.

Breastfeeding is the physiological standard for human babies. Formula-feeding is not even second best. According to the World Health Organization (WHO) formula is only a distant fourth. WHO urges that all babies be breastfed by their mothers. In cases where this is impossible, the second best alternative is to feed the baby the mother’s pumped milk. As a third best alternative, babies should be fed breastmilk from another human mother. Only in cases where human milk is impossible or the baby cannot digest breastmilk (such as with galactosemia), should formula even be considered.

If formula feeding is so inferior, why aren’t American doctors and health authorities warning of the dangers? Most will say, “We don’t want to make women feel guilty.” Yet they have no problem making mothers feel guilty for smoking around the baby, or for placing a sleeping baby on his tummy.

Instead of warning parents about the risks of formula feeding, hospitals hand out formula samples, literature and advertising gifts. They receive kick-backs from formula companies in the form of pens, notepads, and other items. While hospitals shrug off these gifts as meaningless trinkets that do not affect their work, Diane Weissinger asks why formula companies would spend huge sums of money on this advertising, if it did not work?

In return for the goodies and the donuts, the hospital sends the company’s formula marketing literature and samples home with every mother in a logo-branded diaper bag. Even those women who plan to exclusively breastfeed get the bag. The diaper bag and its contents send a clear message that the experts at the hospital approve of formula. This tacit endorsement undermines breastfeeding promotion. Research shows that women who receive the bag are more likely to resort to formula once they get home, and 93% select the formula brand associated with the bag. Obviously, the strategy works.

The diaper bags are not the only way the medical community colludes with formula manufacturers. According to Weissinger, the delivery room procedures of most hospitals unwittingly work to undermine breastfeeding long before the baby takes its first breath.

Weissinger stumbled onto the birth-breast connection while studying the nursing behavior of animals. Weissinger was an animal behaviorist before she became a renowned lactation consultant. It was this background that inspired her to put together a talk on the breastfeeding and parenting lessons that can be learned by observing other mammals. Initially she intended to cover topics like how mammal babies find the nipple on their own, how mammal mothers never look at a clock before nursing the babies, and how animals wean naturally with no formal plan.

As Weissinger prepared the material, she was inevitably drawn to the distinctions between mothers who bond with and care for their infants, and those who do not. In every mammal species, she discovered that mothers who are deprived of their chosen place, time and sensations during the birth process have difficulty bonding and breastfeeding. Mammal bonding is adversely affected if birth is too hard – and if birth is too easy. The babies are even at risk if the birth is too clean.

Whether the mammal studied is a terrier, a horse, or a rat, any interference with the birth risks the breastfeeding relationship. Interference might include something as benign as the presence of an outsider, or as radical as cesarean delivery. Veterinarians who must surgically remove a baby animal go to great lengths to normalize the experience by allowing as much labor as possible, placing the placenta with the mother she wakes, and leaving the newborns in an untouched state. They understand the risks.

Human beings are mammals. Because we are more intelligent than most other mammals, human parents will usually continue to care for a child no matter how it comes into the world. Yet, according to Diane Weissinger, medical birth is robbing mothers and babies of the easy, instinctive breastfeeding experience that results from normal birth.

Modern hospital birth generally involves an epidural. Wiessinger equates a long epidural to drinking fourteen cans of soda. Excess fluid swells the woman’s tissues, including her breasts and nipples, which makes latching on more difficult. The epidural also slows down her milk, increasing the risk of jaundice and early supplements for the baby – two responses that increase the risk of early weaning.

The epidural drugs affect the baby as well as the mother. Since breastfeeding is primarily the baby’s job, newborns need to be awake and aware. Drugged babies have more difficulty recognizing and attaching to the breast, more sucking problems, and more bonding problems. Poor initial sucking may result in nipple damage – which is not a nice event in a place filled with unfamiliar and sometimes antibiotic-resistant germs.

Wiessinger says, “Mothers in our culture haven’t given birth since the early part of the 20th century. And no mammal who has birth taken from her goes on to nurse easily, or even to mother easily. It’s not the breastfeeding that’s the problem. It’s the birth!”

-- Jeannie Babb Taylor
http://www.jeanniebabbtaylor.com/



7 comments:

A. Lin said...

I am about 5 weeks from having my 3rd child. I plan on requesting a formula diaper bag simply because I do not want to buy a new one. I will not use the formula though.

My first breastfed to 21 months and my second to 24 months. I do understand that some women end up not being able to breastfeed, and I don't think they should be made to feel guilty. It is an interesting take to place the blame on the medical birth itself. I would love to have a home birth, but the logistics of it are more than I can handle. I'm not going to let them keep me in the bed this time though, and I will stay at home for as long as I can before going to the hospital.

Jeannie Babb said...

A. Lin, most women prefer to birth in the hospital. That's why I advocate not only for homebirth, but for better hospital birth. Every woman has the right to birth where she feels comfortable, and every woman has the right to a good, safe birth that does not endanger the mother, the baby, or the breastfeeding bond.

Since you've had great success nursing before, the odds are in certainly in your favor. You'll want to make sure your baby is awake and aware. You mentioned that you need to be out of the bed and staying home as long as possible. Both of those strategies will help you avoid an unnatural birth. Above all, avoid induction. One intervention leads to another.

Happy Birthing!

Anonymous said...

Excellent article! I wish the reference on IQ would have been left out because measuring intelligence is such a wishy washy affair. Everything else is truly measurable (the ear infection risk, obesity etc.).

Your article sets the record straight and I will be quoting freely from it in the future to make a point when the topic comes up :).

Patricia
LC in training

Molly said...

Thanks for this--I'm so tired of people trying not to offend in their analysis of breastfeeding FACT.

My mother was not breastfed and she has just about every allergy imaginable. She was never around breastfeeding families but she decided to nurse us because, as she said, "If the monkeys can do it, so can I."

I tried to turn down the bag with the free formula. I really didn't want it and I said that I would be breastfeeding, but they insisted that I take it. I should have fought them on it...but ultimately it didn't matter, because I got a lunch bag and a little cooler for my bottles of breastmilk that my son gets while I'm at work. The formula was given to someone via Freecycle and I'm glad to be rid of it.

A. Lin said...

I had my baby on Mother's Day. I waited so long to go to the hospital that I was 9 cm when they finally checked me. I am so proud of myself for giving birth naturally. Just before I started pushing, my water broke and I heard the nurse say the word "meconium". What do you want to guess that if I had been at the hospital earlier and had my water broken to speed up labor, that the dr. would have taken more extreme measures to get the baby out sooner (c-section or otherwise). As it was, my son is healthy; the meconium didn't affect him.

My little boy is a pro at nursing--we started trying it immediately after he was born. He was definitely alert and ready.

I took the formula bag from the hospital only because I didn't want to buy a new diaper bag. The formula will be given to someone who needs it.

Jeannie Babb said...

Congratulations, A. Lin! I'm sure he is just beautiful.

Laboring at home is a smart move, and I bet you're right about the meconium.

Enjoy your little one, and happy breastfeeding!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!